Wednesday 28 November 2012

'The series of paintings are called 'Emerging States'.

Personal statement by Kai Murphy explaining work done for 'Period of Grace'. This work has arisen from meeting curator Charlie Caldecott at the beginning of his vision for the space. Both Kai and Teresa Fard have worked with Charlie from the beginning


I am caught by an immense gut feeling that I am an ocean and the waves of my ocean have suddenly come crashing down on some exotic beach, enchanted, I am trickling between every detail of this new land, exploring every grain of sand and pebble. I am enthralled by a presence of life and existence like no time experienced before. I feel as if I have made a discovery within myself. I hope through my work I will be able to share some of what I find. For I believe that colour, contrast and the human figure used in communication is a base and ancient knowledge.
The paintings are personal automatic responses to idiosyncratic observation of the world around me using playful experiments in colour, conflict and figure. I use music to meditate and concentrate to create an immersive zone to work out feelings and visions from my imagination. My work ranges from having a raw sexual nature to lonesomeness. I don't work from concepts. There is no right and wrong with my work, once a feeling has left me I stop and that is when the work is finished. I feel like I am nurturing a seed but don't know what i'm growing. I do not reference, I am not working for a decorative outcome, I am asking base questions that I see as a necessity for everyday life, and through the pursuit of discovery of a truth, a path to my own well being.'

.

No comments:

Post a Comment